- A Crime Novelist, A Master Chef, A Burlesque Dancer And A Music Critic Walk Into A Bar ...
- Reeling Reborn: 31st Edition Of The LGBT Film Festival Begins Thursday
- Perverted Movie Lovers Rejoice!
- 'Computer Chess' Is A Movie For The Nerd In All Of Us
- Serious 'Mother Of George' Suffers From Too Much Beautiful Filming
- Interview: Leonard Maltin Discusses 45 Years Of His Movie Guide
- The Onion City Film Festival Returns With A Pungent 25th Edition
- Paul McGee's Three Dots And A Dash Is A Genuine Tiki Paradise
- Kickstart 'Safe Word'
- EXCLUSIVE: Barry Gifford Shares 'A Postcard To Nelson Algren'
- Properly Sauced: It's National Mai Tai Day!
- Properly Sauced: Mamie Taylor
- The Show Must Go On: Portrait of Jason Will Screen At Music Box
- The Siskel's Date With The '80s Series Is Totally Tubular
- Get Filthy With John Waters At The Harris Theater
tag cloud3 things 007 420 Amicus Productions animation Barry Gifford books Buñuel Chicago Chicagoist Chicago Public LIbrary Christmas Christopher Nolan CIFF cocktails Cronenberg David Lynch Disney documentaries dreams editing film festivals film noir food gay George Clooney haiku Halloween Hitchcock James Bond Jane Fonda jazz jim henson jimmy stewart John Huston Kurosawa libraries lists Marlon Brando Michael Haneke movies muppets music musicals new york October Otto Preminger Paris paul thomas anderson pause of the clock Planet of the Apes poetry queue tips recipes Reeling Film Festival richard linklater Robert Altman Robert Ryan rum sci fi Scorsese silent film Soderbergh star trek stories stories from the grid tiki trash w.c. fields Wallace Shawn war Werner Herzog Westerns Wim Wenders Woody Allen
- Really digging ‘1981’ by TheBandRoyale right now soundcloud.com/thebandroyale/… 1 hour ago
- On the Brown Line holiday train! Right now! http://t.co/KztMkqB7zY 7 hours ago
- I'm at @ScooziChicago (Chicago, IL) 4sq.com/1dVa8UD 9 hours ago
- What the rough cut looks like. wp.me/pymbF-1bL 10 hours ago
- The incomplete rough cut for PAUSE OF THE CLOCK. http://t.co/68JIDc7CK7 12 hours ago
- RT @FoodDepository: SNL's Cecily Strong? Top Chef Master Rick Bayless? Whose Social Donation Plate will you add to? See the choices here: h… 13 hours ago
- In which I compare CHRISTMAS VACATION to Preston Sturges: cine-file.info/list.htm 14 hours ago
- I'm at Chicago Bagel Authority - @eatcba (Chicago, IL) 4sq.com/IMnYdu 1 day ago
- Happy Repeak Day! Insanely busy here. (@ Three Dots and a Dash - @threedotschi w/ 11 others) 4sq.com/IMeKhf 1 day ago
- Happy Repeal Day! wp.me/pymbF-1bJ 1 day ago
Tag Archives: sci fi
The Man Who Fell to Earth  1. While drying the glass with a towel, one of her press-on nails comes off. 2. “They’re stuck. Now I’ll never get them off.” 3. Christmastime in a liquor store.
Akira Kurosawa’s Dreams  1. She gently drapes him with her shawl. At first she pats him soothingly. Then she holds him down. 2. “I couldn’t get the ear right, so I cut it off and threw it away.” 3. … Continue reading
Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country  1. “There is an old Vulcan proverb: Only Nixon could go to China.” 2. Iman smoking a cigarillo. 3. Rivets on his eyepatch.
The Thing from Another World  1. A movie of commands. “Keep your eye on that Geiger counter!” “Get out of there!” “Watch the skies!” 2. While he’s “tied up” she forces drinks on him. 3. Buckets of kerosene. The … Continue reading
Invaders from Mars  1. He slaps the boy so hard he knocks him to the floor. His wife immediately enters the room, but says nothing. 2. “What in earth’s name is it?” Nobody says anything. “Blast it!” 3. Flywheel … Continue reading
When Worlds Collide  1. They trade cigarettes. American for South African. 2. Newspapers from around the globe marked FINAL EDITION. 3. A world of pink trees. Very underrated sci fi, 50′s style. 3 other things.
Gravity  1. “Clear skies with a chance of satellite debris.” 2. A teardrop detaches from her eye and floats away. 3. Her knuckles half submerged in muddy red clay. This movie is literally hair-raising. I’m not sure I’ve ever … Continue reading
Computer Chess  1. Split-screen skepticism. 2. “I wonder how much all those people paid for that conference anyway. At least I got my catharsis for free.” 3. She bends over. He peers into her cranium. 3 other things.
Death Watch  1. “Some things are private?” “Are they? Why?” 2. She assures her that the wig is real human hair. 3. Finally, he sleeps. Sitting up. He sleeps right through it. Why this touching, understated sci-fi movie isn’t … Continue reading
Z.P.G.  1. Newspaper headline: LOS ANGELES KILLER SMOG 90,000 DEAD 2. Artificial blood spurts out of the doll’s neck. 3. Plastic handcuffs and pruning shears.