- Chicagoist Presents A New Story By Barry Gifford: 'Christmas Is Not For Everyone'
- A Crime Novelist, A Master Chef, A Burlesque Dancer And A Music Critic Walk Into A Bar ...
- Reeling Reborn: 31st Edition Of The LGBT Film Festival Begins Thursday
- Perverted Movie Lovers Rejoice!
- 'Computer Chess' Is A Movie For The Nerd In All Of Us
- Serious 'Mother Of George' Suffers From Too Much Beautiful Filming
- Interview: Leonard Maltin Discusses 45 Years Of His Movie Guide
- The Onion City Film Festival Returns With A Pungent 25th Edition
- Paul McGee's Three Dots And A Dash Is A Genuine Tiki Paradise
- Kickstart 'Safe Word'
- EXCLUSIVE: Barry Gifford Shares 'A Postcard To Nelson Algren'
- Properly Sauced: It's National Mai Tai Day!
- Properly Sauced: Mamie Taylor
- The Show Must Go On: Portrait of Jason Will Screen At Music Box
- The Siskel's Date With The '80s Series Is Totally Tubular
tag cloud3 things 007 420 Amicus Productions animation Barry Gifford books Buñuel Chicago Chicagoist Chicago Public LIbrary Christmas Christopher Nolan CIFF cocktails Cronenberg David Lynch Disney documentaries dreams editing film festivals film noir food gay George Clooney haiku Halloween Hitchcock James Bond Jane Fonda jazz jim henson jimmy stewart John Huston Kurosawa libraries lists Marlon Brando Michael Haneke movies muppets music musicals new york October Otto Preminger Paris paul thomas anderson pause of the clock Planet of the Apes poetry queue tips recipes Reeling Film Festival richard linklater Robert Altman Robert Ryan rum sci fi Scorsese silent film Soderbergh star trek stories stories from the grid tiki trash w.c. fields Wallace Shawn war Werner Herzog Westerns Wim Wenders Woody Allen
- RT @AlbertBrooks: Megyn Kelly to produce all white version of 12 Years A Slave. 16 minutes ago
- RT @guardianfilm: Do you or does anyone you know share a name with a film star? If so we'd like to talk to you. Email for details: adam.bou… 4 hours ago
- Tried out a punch recipe. Now waiting to sober up enough to be able to call my Mom. 18 hours ago
- Hey @unnmbl RT @Fantasmagorie Pretty sure Alain Resnais turned this episode of Columbo into Providence. 19 hours ago
- #HappyBirthdayBob My PRICE IS RIGHT story from "100 Spinning Plates" books.google.com/books?id=obDGa… 1 day ago
- 3 things about Alexander Payne's NEBRASKA wp.me/pymbF-1bZ 1 day ago
- Filmmakers I just don't "get" include Malick, Greenaway, Tony Scott, Tarkovsky (w/ exception of STALKER, which is freaking brilliant). 1 day ago
- Text I just got from Mom: "Guess what?! I found the theme song from shirley valentine, can play it on my phone. I can play the whole song!" 2 days ago
- RT @MarkHarrisNYC: Last AFI note, just to express delight that 1 of the film jurors was the great Anne V. Coates, editor of Lawrence of Ara… 3 days ago
- RT @mattlindner: Hey everyone, do you want to live in Chicago media superstar @marcusgilmer's old apartment? Of course you do! http://t.co/… 3 days ago
Tag Archives: silent film
The Crowd  1. Upon entering the room he is immediately accosted by a flapper. 2. Several decades before Psycho, an onscreen toilet. 3. Everyone and everything is making too much noise.
The Artist  1. Over time, his mustache morphs from pencil-thin to brushlike. 2. “BANG!” 3. Malcolm McDowell’s ruddy nose (even in black & white).
Faces of Children  1. The child watches the gravedigger refill his mother’s grave, then passes out. His father carries him home. The gravedigger continues in his work without a pause. 2. Pierrette is like a paleo-Tootie, like Margaret O’Brien … Continue reading
Seven Chances  1. Dressed for the wedding, he takes two train tickets out of his pocket: one for Niagra Falls, one for Reno. 2. He emerges from the water with a turtle hanging from his necktie. 3. The dog … Continue reading
Nosferatu  1. He looks at the photograph. “Is this your wife? What a lovely throat!” 2. They overturn the coffin. It’s filled with earth and rats. One of them bites the sailor. 3. In his final scene, Nosferatu can … Continue reading
The Ten Commandments  1. “They are not laws–they are the LAW.” 2. Not in the remake: Ramses’ son is a bratty boy pharoah with a little whip. 3. He shoots Sally Lung. As she falls to the floor she … Continue reading
The Docks of New York  1. Her reflection in the water. She jumps. Then, ripples appear. 2. “You may be big game aboard ship, but you’re only an animal-cracker here.” 3. It’s the morning after his wedding night. He … Continue reading
The Last Laugh  1. He comes in to get out of the rain for a moment, sits down. His leg is acting up again. The bellboy gives him a quick drink. Meanwhile, the manager shakes his head disapprovingly and … Continue reading
Underworld  1. He extinguishes his cigarette in the champagne bucket. 2. Cow light fixture surrounded by empty bottles of booze. 3. An exodus from the tenement–bathrobes, dressing gowns, pajamas, long underwear.